Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Technical troubles, the direction of the blog, ruminations

So:  we may have made a mistake.  blogspot (or blogger.com as it is now called) gives fewer and less useful options than tumblr, so we may simply move the blog.  We'll see. 

Anyway.  Where do we want to take this?  Aren't there already enough sites that simply re-post news and give short blurbs about why or why not the authors agree with it?  But original content is extremely difficult to come up with on a daily, hourly, time-unityly basis, so I think that the format will of course come out as a combination of both.

Semantics aside:  how radical are we?  We don't exist on any continuum, so it will of course be difficult to decide how best to describe the content of this blog in any simple blurb.  What we ARE, though, is a radical outlet for those people on college campuses worldwide who feel that there isn't enough expression of these ideals and these issues.

I go to a southern public university, the College of William and Mary.  While most of the students here pride themselves on attending the "second oldest American university" or the "Hottest Small State School" according to Newsweek 2005 (...and we do happen to be battling an intense heat-wave at the moment), I tend to identify my own place here by the number of groups I am NOT a part of rather than those I am.  This stems from the fact that besides the usual suspects (GLBT Alliance, Women's Studies 'Zines, VOX, and FMLA chapters) there is very little radical action or thought occurring in these parts.  Chalk it up to the conservative bent of the administration, the very religious demographic of those who live around the school, or any number of other factors (for instance, Fraternities and Sororities attract MUCH less radical matriculants to the school than say a Vassar which recognizes the problematic nature of Greek Life) but the Radical sphere at my school is severely lacking.

So:  Does that in any way describe your experience?  There are plenty of radical undertones and overtones to all of my experience at my College, but I would love to bring them to the forefront.  I would love to post tips and links to great ways to organize on campus, great events and conventions and gatherings and orgies (really, whatever you're into).  I'm into posting reactions to political events or pieces of theory or great media applications of theory (or great outrages), but only as much as you, the reader, wants to hear.

And most importantly:  We. Want. You. To. Contribute. Shoot me an email or send me a private message if you're interested and give me like 100 words (as in, not much) as to why you'd like to author pieces.  No structure.  Just do it.

Peace Out, Radicals

SG

No comments: